Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Books that inspire me

How I wish I have the time to read my favourite author's book nowadays. It seems like the time is running too fast and I can’t catch up anymore. My days are hectic with the research work at the office and my evenings are spent with my husband and kids. There are tonnes and tonnes of chores to be done eventhough bibik is always there to help. I made sure that my own responsibilities should still be carried out by myself. Cooking for instance has never been appointed to be done by bibik. My husband has never even taste a sip of drink made by her. She just takes care of the kids and the house when I’m not around, and do the basic cleaning, laundry and tidying up.

By the time I went to bed, I was exhausted hoping that my three little rascals are tired enough to go straight to bed. There is no more energy to be drained out of me, what more to relish a book I truly love.

There seems to be a pattern in the type of books I like with the progression of my age. In high school, I used to love reading Judith McNaught’s romance novels. My first was Whitney, My Love. I was fully indulged in reading the novel, my friends have to pull it away from me to have me go with them to the dining hall come lunch or dinner time. Her language is always as beautiful as it can be and I can’t help but imagine all the people and places she describes in her writings. The characters are always so unique and appealing and most of the settings are always in the past Victorian ages when the cultures are so different from today. I hopped from one after another, books to books of hers including Once and Always, Something Wonderful, A Kingdom of Dreams and Until You. Unfortunately, I don’t get to read them anymore after I finished my highschool for all the novels I’ve read were not mine. They were my friends’, I didn’t have the luxury of buying even food that I like at that time, what more buying novels.

When I go to college, I found another alternative to cater my love of novels, the library. Unfortunately, schools do not provide Judith Mcnaught’s romance novels on the shelves. Then I introduced myself to Danielle Steel. The first that I read was titled “Star”, a love story between a Hollywood singer and a lawyer. I like her writing style but after sometimes in can be monotanous. That’s the only book from her that I truly love anyway. I tried to read Jewels but I’ve never finished it. I don’t read Danielle Steel anymore.

My all time favourite author is Sydney Sheldon. I don’t even remember how I got to read my first Sydney Sheldon’s work but I do remember which one, ‘If Tomorrow Comes’. It was about a woman prisoner who can’t wait to get out to take a revenge on the killer of her family and she managed to do in an appealingly shrewd way. I got to learn of how the prison system is and the life of a prisoner. After that introduction to Sheldon, I can’t wait to finish all the book written by him.

Sydney Sheldon’s books were always articulately and lucratively written and most of the main characters are women (at least the ones that I’ve read). His way of picturing and describing people, places and events are so vivid, we can imagine ourselves being there. I love the twists, the mysteries and the stories. The list of Sydney Sheldon’s books that I have read so far is:

The Best Laid Plans
Nothing Lasts Forever
The Stars Shine Down
The Doomsday Conspiracy
Memories of Midnight
The Sands of Time
Windmills of the Gods
If Tomorrow Comes
Master of the Game
Rage of Angels
A Stranger in the Mirror
The Other Side of Midnight.


I learnt a lot from Sydney Sheldon, from the prison system, doctors life, diamond pursuer, a nun, a builder, a senator to the alien conspiracy among all. My Favourite Sydney Sheldon's though is The Stars Shine Down. The name of the main character, Lara Cameron, still linger in my mind till today and I always dream to be like her. One day I might get the chance to build my own building like her

**I also like a Jefry Archer's "As The Crow Flies'. What about you guys out there? Care to share?

4 comments:

Makcik Runner said...

ermm, i dont have any particular book on my mind right now coz its been a looooong time since i read one.

i've resorted to light and easy reading. the only thick book i've ever read so far in my 10 years of marriage is home decorating for the dummies..tee hehe

Kipas Repair JB said...

I read Tom Clancy's book...The one that i enjoyed most is "Clear and Present Danger" and "Patriot Games".

I also liked "The Red President" by Martin Gross.

zura said...

Kc - same here. can't do much of thick book reading now too. The magazines out there instead are my reading material now.

Alzack - interesting books. I must try reading them one of these days aye...

zura said...

and kc - i'm surprised to know that u've been married for 10yrs already. Must be quite a journey...