Friday, February 23, 2007

Scarryyyy...

The scariest thing happened to me today. Although I usually hit the road to my office early in the morning everyday, this week I didn't. Not until 1pm because my husband is home out of the late shift he's working this week. I can't bear seeing him goes to work with an empty belly at lunch time. Cooking for him is never a hassle to me anyway, but most of all I love he's company at home. It's not everyday that he's got the time to do that, he's even working this weekend.

I've got tonnes of work to do at the office, of course with my unfinished business - the proposal. I'm a last minute person. I love the adrenaline rush to beat the deadline (today) and to prove last minute action can't do you any harm. So today, I went out earlier, in I go to my four wheel partner heading to the office leaving my husband who's still in a peaceful deep sleep (with his permission of course).

So there I sat on my blue chair made more comfy by two lovely pillows. It was 10am and I've loads to do. I can hardly tip my head to see who's passing through. I don't even open my door to make that possible. Indulged in my little contribution to the country, my eyes was never off the monitor screen and my hands keep typing the yet still missing contents. Come lunch time, although my belly was growling for food, I couldn't even afford a leisure lunch with my officemate, Nura. There goes my long Friday lunch hours which I always find useful to entertain myself in JUSCO. I just can't. This unfinished business has got to go. Please don't haunt my life anymore. Don't be the nightmare disturbing my sleep any longer.

It's been approximately one month that I have lived without a thumbdrive. Somehow no computer can register it when it's poked into the USB drive. Darn..there goes my RM300 worth of thumbdrive (thank god it's cheaper now...RM50 for a 1G). So I've been saving my work on whichever computer I used and keep attaching it to my own emails so I can access it everywhere I go. Little that I know, it will stay in the 'Temp' folder if I keep pressing the 'save' button. It's like hanging somewhere temporarily hoping that the user will save it somewhere permanently. Well, it doesn't occur to me today for I'm too busy chasing and running trying to hit the red ribbon at the finishing line. I kept pressing the 'save' button, not 'save as' as I should.

It was nearly 6.30pm, my back was hurting, I felt like it was going to snap into two. I haven't perform my Asar prayer yet hoping I could get home in time before maghrib. I was ready to go home, and emailed myself with the attachment as usual. Out of my anxiety over something that could happen to a last minute person like me, I opened my email to check if the attachment is indeed attached right. And.........AGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH. It was not there. What was there is the proposal that I saved yesterday. Today's work have not been saved. I was about to cry and I panicked. I screamed silently coz it seems to be too crazy to scream on top of my lungs in an empty office. The jinx!!!! Call me superstitious but I am sometimes. What will I hand in this monday (the deadline has been postponed to monday anyway)? A call to my husband might help, emotionally if not technically. When he picked up and listen to my little jinxy tragedy, the first thing he asked, is whether or not I have performed my Asar prayer. A sense of guilt wash over me, I knew it. What comes around do comes around. My indulgence to work has made me put Allah in a second place, which I shouldn't do. He's advice was simple, go take your obulation and pray...and indeed pray. I was in tears....this is a matter of passing my PhD or not. This is my punishment.....

In tears I walked shivering with the thoughts of having to compose everything back. I'm doomed. I prayed, and I prayed for him to give me the strengths to do it all over again. And there I was again, sitting at the blue chair, which do not look any appealing anymore. I might have to spend my night in this alienated office to finish THE proposal. And then it occurred to me...I know I've saved the document, although my husband says I have a habit of not saving my work regularly. I know I did...it's impossible that I don't. As I opened the old document I saved yesterday, I was ready to 'save as' it to avoid the same thing...hopefully the lightning does not strike twice. I don't even know if I can recall all the infos and facts I've included earlier, what more with the torturing formatting and editing work. And there it was...my PROPOSAL!!!.. in the TEMP folder. How do I get to it? Searching using the 'search' facility did not work. I tried and tried, marking which folder it's in and when I open it through 'My Computer', the TEMP folder doesn't even exists. Calling my husband do not help anymore, what can he do 50miles away from me? I press every button and link I know, I was about to give up but I refuse to do so...now that I know it's in there. There must be a way I clicked and I searched....and then pop....my PROPOSAL out there on the screen. I don't what I did right...but it does bring the document out. I was blessed. The praying works...Allah still give me chance. It was a lesson to me. And please make it a lesson to you too..

Remember guys....do not procrastinate. Do you have a little something in your bag that needs finishing? Go to it..deal with it. Don't wait till the last minute.

4 comments:

Kipas Repair JB said...

Morale of the story:

1. Solat dulu....baru buat kejelain
2. Jgn buat keje last minit
3. back up byk 2 keje tu
4. Make sure tahu save kat mana
5. Tak sangka pulak sempat karang berjela2 kat blog...nasib baik dpt recover balik....lain kali careful sayang

Kipas Repair JB said...

Check out this blog >>> kind of interesting http://www.karencheng.com.au/



from (http://zaki-yamani.blogspot.com/)

ManaL said...

byk lak nasihat si zaki nih...

zura, good that u recovered ur piece of work back....i think u shudnt set to autosave or kept pressing save for ur work....instead press the save button at least after 1 hr of job or if u planning to leave ur pc on and going somewhere shortly.Computers pon mmg ade temp system but sometimes not every single word it can save. Just my small points jer la.

zura said...

Thanks for the advice manal. Hopefully it wouldn't happen again. Takut.