Wednesday, March 21, 2007

A glimpse of Oprah

Today I had lunch with my close friend in the office at her home. She said she cooked 'sambal sotong' (squid) last night and she has plenty of leftover. She also said she cooked good 'sambal sotong' and I decided to give it try.

While waiting for the rice to cook, I watched the TV while crunching on some of her biscuits to shut my tummy from announcing to the world that it's empty. There was nothing really interesting on except for Diari Akademi Fantasia (one of the hottest reality shows in Malaysia) with some coverage on what the students do during their classes. It was a bit boring and I didn't really watch it. Before I knew it, the rice was ready and lunch was on the way with some pan fried vegetables and an ommelete. It was nice, thanks to my friend, N.

It was already half past 1 and N has to get her daughter ready for nursery. She hace to race against time for she has to attend the department meeting at 2.30. While waiting for her to give the little girl a quick bath and for herself to perform her Zuhur prayer (I am temporarily unable to), I once again turned to the TV set for some entertainment. After browsing on every channel available, I finally came to channel 70 (Star World) and I was elated to see Oprah Winfrey on her show. It was already halfway through but can still serve the purpose of feeding me with information and entainment.

In the show, there was a pretty faced man, quite handsome and not ugly at all. The weird thing is, whenever he looked into the mirror, he cannot help but think that he's an ugly monster. I personally think he's handsome. Who wouldn't if he is this tall guy with quite an attractive built plus straight silky smooth hair (a little less than shoulder length).

Apparently, he has a mental/psikology problem called Body Dysmorphic Disorder. According to the doctor, Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) is a mental disorder, which involves a disturbed body image. It is generally diagnosed in those who are extremely critical of their physique or self image, despite the fact there may be no noticeable disfigurement or defect.

It was sad seeing this guy trying to cope with his disorder and the world and it was heartbreaking to see his family struggle with him to make the world understands. He's lucky because he has such a supportive family.

Another case of BDD shown today was a lady addicted to plastic surgery. She was a beautiful young girl at the age of 28. Unfortunately, the surgeries she put herself through in the end make her look like a monster. She looks like a distorted, mutated Pamela Anderson with lips that is noticeable from a mile. That's how bad she looks. I pity her for doing this to herself and I pity her for not seeking help while she can. Like Oprah, I also curse the doctor who performed the surgeries for not telling her really that she has a disorder that she has to take care off. It's sad that somethimes money is more important to the doctors than their etiquette.

This is new to me. I've never heard of such a disorder before and that's why I like to watch Oprah. Despite of the entertainment she provides with all her glamorous hot shot celebrities and the makeover shows that she loves to do, she does care for her country and the world in her own way. She likes to highlight issues that is sometimes totally remote to most of us and alerted the whole nation.

Before I can finish my Oprah, N was ready to go out and I have to be pulled way from the TV. We have to hurry to make it on time back to our office. Bye bye Oprah....

4 comments:

Kipas Repair JB said...

Interesting input. I never knew about BDD before. Thanks for sharing.
www.zakiyamani.com

ManaL said...

Poor low-esteem people. kalau diorg muslim, we can remind about ni'mat allah and all. Sempat jugak tu sambil lunch over sambil menghayati what oprah had to say ;-)

Makcik Runner said...

i saw that episode - the barbie doll lookalike. hideous sungguh. mcm disfigured pun ada. i thought she was more more beautiful b4 she did all those surgeries.

and just so today at 9am, i saw another episode of oprah of a happily married man who decides to have a sex-change operation and becomes a woman (not bad looking lak tuh) and still lives with his...err her wife...eh camana nak explain ni? the world is full of screwed up people...hmmm

zura said...

Abang: Glad you got some info from the post.

Manal: Yup, I also thought so while watching. I don't think cases like this occurred a lot to us Muslims. We are always taught to be greatful, aren't we. Jarang tau I dapat enjoy Oprah waktu lunch...hehehe

kc: You watched that episode too...hahaha..memang hideous kan. You go back home for lunch too ke? Anyway, I wish I could watch the episode about the sex change too. I think most of Americans memang screwed pun. Hancussss..